Project S-22: Rear diff fluid change

I have waited for a whole winter to do this rear diff fluid change.

What was blocking me was the 23mm fill plug on the diff. I used every tool I could find and all my strength. It just didn't come off.

I tried once in November last year and once last month. With the craftsman 3/8 inch drive ratchet I just cannot do this..

Then I used a 3/8 inch drive breaker bar along with my 23mm socket to try again. Normally the socket won't fit into the narrow gap there on the side of the diff but the one I bought on Amazon fit quite well inside.

Finally on Sat I managed to loosen the fill plug. I felt a sudden movement. It was luckily not breaking the thread. It came off!!


The next steps were naive. The 24mm plug on the car was really loose when I got it off. I really ran a change of spilling rear diff fluid everywhere before that!

And it was quite dirty.. (not that bad in fact...).


I used AMSOIL 75w-110 Severe Gear. 


By the pump with hose I pumped 0.7~0.8 quart of this into the diff and that was it!



The test drive after the change was good.

5/3/17

Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation