Autocross 7: NNJR SCCA Event #2 4/30/17

Last Sunday I did the second event of NNJR SCCA. The course was the longest one I've ever driven. Most people's fastest time were > 60s.. And there were several set of slaloms on the course.

I ran with instructors Evan, Hez and Mark. Their advice could be summarized into below points:
1) Look ahead. Turn my head at sweepers! (Mark yelled at me every time he was with me..)
2) Carry speed and finish the corner. Do not brake too much and then turn.
3) Turning in earlier.

So what I need to focus on practicing are still these things:
1) Look ahead, turn my head!
2) Drive at the limit (with the best line)! Don't understeer too much and gas gas gas sooner!
3) Quick hands with intuition and expectation in my mind.

So now let's get to analyzing the videos. First, let's look at the comparison video:


This one shows why I was faster with my last run (almost 1s faster before I went off):
I was just driving faster at the entry of the first slaloms and the big left-turn sweeper.

But the start was still not aggressive enough. Should've given it more gas at the beginning.

And then look at my fastest vs this:



That was a 59.1 run, vs my 63.6 off course run!!

- See how he turned his head everywhere!
- See the way he accelerated from the starting line!
- See how close he was to the cones at the first left-turn sweeper!
- See how early he turned in! (check out car's direction vs the cone on the ground
- I didn't go wide enough at the first 90 degree turn after the first slalom. There was more space to go fast and wide. I didn't have to decelerate that much and make the turn!


5/4/17


Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation