Autocross 9: BMWCCA NJ Event #1 5/14/17

The event was held at TD Bank Ballpark at Bridgewater. This was by far the smallest and narrowest parking lot. So of course we had overlapping just like the one in North FCSCC lot. But the cones were much closer to each other, which caused most of us hitting countless cones, especially me! (23 cones in 10 runs, my record!)

Anyway, back to business.

This event was the last one before ProSolo 2017. So I took it really serious and pushed the car hard.

First let me do a video by video review.

Here is my first run:


1) I messed up with the first section course. I was too late to avoid the cones before the sweeper. It was because, I didn't look ahead to see what was coming so when I saw them, I had no way to get rid of them...
2) I seemed to be fast in my first run, but, ... I didn't make corresponding swift steering input. It looks like I was hesitating, waiting for something and it really ruined this run.


My fastest run 6:


1) The launch or the start was slow, even slower than the first run..
2) My steering was not continuous. For example, in the first section, I could have made the turn in one shot but I made it half there and then turned more after that. This is a bad habit which I need to fix.


Run 7 dirty but fastest in time:


1) More gas at the first sweeper..
2) My steering after the sweeper into the first cone of the slaloms was not continuous. I stopped in the middle of the turn there, which was no good.
3) I should have added gas but not so violent at the end of the acceleration through the exit. I remembered that I added gas in time but I touched gas pedal a lot in a sudden which caused the car to oversteer. I backed off and re-accelerated then. This could cost me like 0.5 second there (the car was in its power band..)


Run 8:


1) First section I was becoming later.. Should have pointed the car in the right position, steered earlier when looking ahead!
2) I could have steered more at the slaloms so that when I was going fast, I won't hit cones.


Run 9:


1) I didn't do the very first cone well.. I should've been close to make the first turn easy.
2) Also the first section my steering was not even enough. Steering more could have helped me get the first section quite easy!


Dirty fastest vs clean fastest:


1) Biggest thing caught my eye was, after the slaloms into the straight at 0:22, I was fast left because I got back on gas much sooner than my right hand side run. You can see I was not getting back on gas until 0.5~1 second passed...
2) I accelerated right after the 3rd cone before the end on left. Kinda late on right. (Though I oversteered in the LHS vid, which was bad and cost time..)


Run 8 vs Run 9 (two almost same time runs but huge difference in the middle section):


1) On the right one, I was faster in 1st half because at the exit of the slaloms I was earlier on gas. Made a huge difference.


And check this out, Elias driving his Golf R:


See 3:10.

What I found out:
I messed up the last U-turn (hairpin). I was almost a sec slower than Elias WTF!!! (TURN-IN LATE & LATE ON GAS)

Also his lauched was like .4 seconds faster than me, and straight acceleration was faster. The first sweeper I was slightly slower (S2000 should have been faster OMFG).


In summary,
1) Look ahead!
2) Drive at the limit! SLOW IN FAST OUT! Especially sweepers.. EARLY ON GAS, and MORE GAS!!
3) Turn-in early!
3) When car is at the limit please make quick steering!




Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation