Project S-5: Inflate tires

It may sound like a piece of cake. Yes it is. But we should never neglect the importance of inflating tires, especially to proper PSI.

Many people don't care about the tire pressure. Some do but don't check quite often. My recommendation would be checking tire pressure at least once a month. I am doing once every other week. The tire pressure should always be greater than 30, in my humble opinion, and be kept below 40.

As for the S2000, it's quite simple: 32psi all year round could do you a favor. But it is better if you:
- 32psi for summer
- 36psi for winter
- 36psi for autocross

The reason we need some more pressure in the tires when doing autocross is that underinflated tires could lead to huge understeer. I experienced this last weekend, you could see my last Sat AutoX with MSNE post. I didn't mention tire pressure because I had no idea that time. When I got home I found I was running on tires with 27, 27, 27 and 30, which is the rear right one. That was nightmare. No wonder I heard squealing of front tires at each big turn. The logic behind this is that, although lower pressure could get you more contact patch, the steering and the response becomes way slower and you could barely make a turn in that situation. It's no longer a contact patch thing anymore. If you give it more tire pressure than the street runs, although less contact with the ground, you could have better steering and which quick response from the tires, making turns could be much easier.

Inflating tires on S2000 isn't hard. I bought Viair 70P Portable along with battery clips. Most of the inflators have max amperage 15A, so it could burn the fuse for the cigarette lighter (along with radio). The correct way should be using the battery with battery clips. Connect them onto the battery terminals and then turn on the compressor. 70P is quite good at inflating tires. I inflated all four to 32psi.

Note that the time you keep the inflator on should be less than 10 mins. Otherwise overheat could kill the device. Also be careful not to connect the red and black clamps together. That could cause sparks and be dangerous.

Compressor with clips

Inflating the tires

Also use some separate tire pressure gauge to measure the psi. The numbers on that compressor can never be accurate.

11/03/16

Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation