MSNE AutoX @ Metlife Stadium Lot L - 11/19/16

This was the last event of this year. My third time, not including the first school event!

Before riding, I talked with Hez and Kiwi on the setup of the car. They highly recommend I get new tires and do the sway bars. It turned out that my rear sway bar bolt was too rusty. I will let Steve (SJF) to do the work. Also I am planning on doing the alignment by the end of the season, along with a moderate drop, 1~1.25 inches. The options are Eibach or Swift Spec R.

So my plan for my project/build would be:
1. Alignment and spring install
2. Drive on my current bad tires. Although the tires are bad, they could help me trigger understeer/oversteer at lower speed, in a much safer environment and give me way more chances to feel and learn to correct the errors.
3. Once I feel comfortable on these, I will start:
    a. Disconnect one end of the rear sway bar to feel the difference!
    b. Buy new set of wheels and tires (now I am into oz + re71s)
4. Drive! On:
    a. Old shitty tires and new good tires!
    b. With the rear bar on and off!

Okay now back onto the topic. I did 8 runs the day. From the first 1m16s to 1m10s in the second, I was like doing my best out there, finally got a 1m8s, which was my fastest run. I did push the car hard and since I was quite a novice, I didn't manage to correct the oversteer in time, resulting in 3~4 spinning out on the course. A lot of smoke from the tires! And the tires are hot after the run!

After my ride I asked Hez about several things. When I am going into a turn, would the car oversteer or understeer? I was a bit confused there. He said, it all depended on how you entered the corner, how you turned in. Front tires or the rear tires losing grip first makes the difference! That's why I do need to feel the car, not only tell the tendency, but also anticipate it and correct it!

Hez also tried two runs in my car. The first run was 1m5s, 3 seconds faster than I did. His second made it 1m02. My car's current limit was like 1m. What he did was SMOOTH, and TURN IN really early.

In summary
=========
The reason I spun out was not because I added too much throttle and didn't catch the oversteer. It was in fact that I braked too late, and I CARRIED brake to the turn, which made the rear snap.

I should practice those from this time's experience:
1. Turn in early. Really early. I should learn from Hez's driving style.
2. Even if I am carrying the brake towards the turn, make it gentle and really smooth.
3. Oversteer and understeer happen in different circumstances. Try to feel them and correct them!

11/20/16

Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation