Autocross 5: FCSCC Event #1 4/15/17

First time with FCSCC. We ran in the north lot. The lot was small so the course was composed of two overlapping ones.. which was confusing!

But... the main reason that I went off course for my 1st and 2nd run was that I was not looking ahead and running at random speed that I was comfortable with..

Here are the videos:

The 2nd run, still off course.



3rd run (38.6xx), much faster simply because I stayed close to the cones and didn't go off course.

7th run, last run also the fastest one.


And the comparison (I was saving time by turning early with a better line and getting back on gas sooner.)



Note that I was running all-season tires today. The event location is bit far from home, 1-hour drive..


In summary, there are really these things below to focus on first:
1. Look ahead. As always. Only in this way could I know how fast should I do throughout the course.
2. Drive at the limit. This is also the topic mentioned in one of the RacersHQ podcast. It is being said that, if you are almost 2 secs slower than the top driver in your class, and you run the same tires and suspension setup, it's because, you are not even driving close to the limit. Let the tires talk to you. Drive faster into the corners and give more gas sooner! (progressively not recklessly)
3. After (2), predict (you should expect the output of the car), quick response and fix, and make that an instinct.
4. Pick a better line. Think of going a bit wider before turning in, and then turning in earlier.


4/15/17

Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation