MSNE AutoX School @ Metlife Stadium Lot L - 09/24/16

The reason I went to the school was that one week before I was spinning in the middle of the road when it was slightly raining at noon. Seriously and literally, spinning in the middle of the road.

That was an 180 U-turn and I went in with some speed around 20mph. The 80% of the turn was good, including the turn-in and apex. However, when it came to the finish, I was kinda afraid of spinning so I lifted off gas a bit. Maybe that was not a bit but some, I could feel that the rear end kicked out. At that time I was not that nervous and I tried counter-steering. Well it worked but it caused spinning to the opposite direction. I was fixing it too late as well as being lack of gas (no gas at that time at all, weight not transferred to back).

The experience really scared the shit out of me. I made up my mind and attended the last school I could find on Auto4U this year, with MSNE.

It turned out that the school was much more than helpful to me, and it was fun! 180 bucks for 20 runs, good deal in my opinion, especially when you could ask for an instructor for each try!

I had two rounds driving, 20 runs in total. First run was 52 seconds. I had 45~46 secs for most of the runs there and well, the instructor did 38 in my AP1, and.. he made it 36 in his CR!

My best run was 42 secs.






=== Summary ===

About AutoX:

Walking the course is important because you are not only familiar with the course, where to make the turns, you could also depict in mind when and where to start brake. Drive in your head first!

About the car:

1. The rear end kicks out quite easy. It is a tail happy AP1 and I like it!
2. The instructor who has a CR suggested me to install a front sway bar. Well after thinking about it and doing quite an amount of research on anti-roll bars, I would say I probably won't install a stiffer and bigger front sway bar in a short period of time because I want to feel it and learn to control the tail :)
3. A friend drove a 06 yellow S and hid runs were like 39 secs. I did feel some low-end torque disadvantage on the AP1. But the AP1 was just too easy to spin!

About my driving:

There are problems about my driving.
1. I should turn in sooner. Each time I try to turn in I seem to be late.
2. Do the slaloms smoothly and fast. Hard brake is allowed but please make it swift and don't try to brake hard when turning in! Do it beforehand!
3. Stay on a little gas in the turns. This is so important, even in daily driving. Since it's a RWD car and 50-50 light weighted roadster, please drive carefully. In a turn we can't make a sudden weight transfer to the front, which would result in a deadly spin. Apply the throttle and keep it there during the whole turn. This would give the car rear tires more traction on the ground.
4. For wide turns give it gas. I was sort of conservative in wide turns. Should be more aggressive. 45~50 mph for wide turns (2nd gear).
5. Please break hard and add gas smoothly BEFORE turning in! This is important.
6. If the rear end loses grip, try adding a bit of gas to make it back straight. It works.

Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation