MSNE AutoX @ Metlife Stadium Lot L - 10/29/16

It was so cold. But I still learned a lot in my eight runs.

The first run was 1m11s. After that most of them were like 1m08s. My best among the eight was 1m06s.

These are the several things that I learned from this AutoX:
1. My car is mostly stock, and the tires are bad. So it is hard for it to make turns.
2. Understeer everywhere in the wide U-turns. I didn't mean to understeer but because of the speed, bad front tires and too much gas during the understeer, I just couldn't make the turn complete. A lot of attempts ended up running off course just because I was not familiar with understeer and when I found that was understeer, I kept my gas a bit hard there! It made no good at all.
3. Still oversteer, although they occurred less this time due to the wide U-turn setup of the course. There were two huge wide turns and some small turns right after them. Most of the oversteer happened when I stomped on the gas pedal of a sudden. Being gentle and aggressive should help.
4. In a turn, understeer happened mostly in the turn-in, where I tried to accelerate a little bit through the corner. Well that caused me to drive off the course. Should add no gas or way much less gas when in turn-in and after the apex apply throttle.
5. The last few runs I was way too protective.

In summary, the changelist would look like this:
0. Look ahead! Look ahead because I made these mistakes when I didn't know what was in front of me! So please look ahead, especially when it came to some huge turns. Look where you are going!
1. In order to avoid understeer, less gas or no gas when turn-in. If I do feel understeer, ease off throttle. It is a must. If that doesn't help, which means that you are way faster than you are supposed to be, you have to add brake.
2. In order to control oversteer, though it didn't happen a lot this time, I should do counter-steer plus throttle. And after that in a second you should feel the back end gets the ground and at that moment you should ease off gas pedal a bit. But only a bit and at the meantime correct the steering wheel to the front.
3. In summary of the above two (oversteer and understeer), BE GENTLE AND DO WHAT YOU SHOULD WHEN ONE OF THEM HAPPENS:
- Oversteer: countersteer + ease-off
- Understeer: ease-off (+ brake)
4. Try to be more aggressive in straight runs. And brake really hard to feel the limit.
5. Walk the course and take it more seriously. You should think of the route before the first run!




It was fun, indeed!

At the end of the event, Otto (Sick_ap1) took me for a ride on the course. His car is fully tuned with VTEC kicking in 3500 RPM. That was sick! He made it 53 seconds. OMFG. And he drove pretty well!

He got thick front sway bar and no rear sway bar. And max camber. Good tires of course. It felt so different! My car liked to dance on the course while his was just following his orders. 

His recommendations for my build:
1. alignment, max camber
2. tires
3. brake fluid
4. sway bar

And that's pretty much it. I wanna drive the car first and then next year do max camber and buy new tires. Will change the brake fluid before next season too. Sway bar would be the next step. Let me feel my stock car first. Otherwise I won't see the difference! LOL.

Comments

Popular

S2000 Torque Specs (from S2KI)

Cornering: cornering force vs slip angle

Project S-18: RSG Gears Lip installation